- Advance registration received to June 17, 2017. Registration will be accepted after June 17 if space permits. Late registration closes on Thursday, July 6, 2017 at 8:00 pm.
- Contestants may enter one class only in Fiddle, and one class only in Step Dance * [see exception - Group Rules # 6]
- Contestants may use their own or house accompanists, one instrument only, no recorded music (Piano Chords appreciated for house accompanists).
- Contestants are responsible to be on time at the stage for their performance,
- All Contestants must compete in the Preliminary Competition.
- Three finalists in all classes will compete in the Finals, with the exception of the 9 Years and under Class and the 10-12 Years Classes where up to four finalists will compete.
- The decision of the judges is final.
- Contestants are admitted free to all events of the Festival excluding Friday and Saturday Night’s Program. 1st Place Contestants will have free admission to Friday and Saturday night.
- Accompanists admitted free to events in which they play.
- Order of play is determined by organizers.
- First place winners will be expected to perform on Saturday night during the Festival of Stars.
- There is a maximum of three consecutive First Place finishes in any single category.
RULES - FIDDLE CLASSES
- Contestants must play: waltz, jig and reel in that order.
- Time Limit : 4 minutes.
- Tunes must be of accepted old-time variety.
- Accompanists may chord or play melody.
- All judging is based on contest rules - time, tone, technique, and over-all accuracy.
- The only instrument which may be used by the contestant is a fiddle.
RULES: GROUP CLASS
- A group is defined as minimum of 2 and a maximum of 4 fiddlers.
- Each participant must play a fiddle.
- Each group may have one accompanist, no recorded music.
- Tunes - waltz and old time tune of their choice, in that order.
- Time limit: 4 minutes.
- Group participants may compete in one other fiddle class and one step dance class.
RULES: STEP DANCE CLASSES
- Each Contestant must dance a reel.
- Time Limit: 3 minutes.
- A re-dance will be allowed in case of an accident – judges’ decision.
- Contestants judged on: Timing, Execution, Variety of Steps, and Presentation.
- No recorded music.
RULES: NOVELTY Class
1. Open to all ages, as singles or in groups and must include fiddle.
2. Maximum number of contestants for class 15 on first come basis.
3. One tune (your choice).
4. Time Limit 2 1/2 minutes.
5. Order of Play- Random Draw.
6. Dress - casual or costume.
7. Judge - Audience response.
8. Entertainment only no cash prize.